Monday 21 November 2011

I waved but he didnt.


                                   I waved but he didn’t.

The local train was on the harbor line. I was going to VT for some monthly shopping and this was my first local journey since I had arrived in Mumbai a year ago. I looked out of the window at the large expanse of slums. Bad stench and narrow galis marked it unique. The train halted. A slum boy around eight years old was staring at me. I smiled and waved. He gave a shrewd look and sighed. "Fucking Non Mumbaikar", I could hear him say in his mind. He was used to passing trains and knew that even if a million people waved at him, he would still remain a slum dweller, one among the thousands, that made Mumbai, what she was. The train moved on.

4th April 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment